- N terminus (N terminal)
- Synonym for amino terminus. The end of a polypeptide that carries a free amino group. The first amino acid in a peptide or protein is called the amino terminal or N-terminal amino acid.
- negative feedback
- A mechanism commonly used for control of secretion in the endocrine system.
- The posterior pituitary gland, which is part of the hypothalamus.
- neuropeptide Y
- A peptide hormone particularly abundant in the brain. Involved in, among other things, control of food intake.
- A carrier protein co-expressed with the peptide hormones antidiuretic hormone and oxytocin.
- Failure of homologous chromosomes (at meiosis) or sister chromatids (at mitosis) to segregate properly, resulting in unequal distribution to daughter cells. A commonly error leading to chromosomal disease.
- A catecholamine secreted from the adrenal medulla and from certain sympathetic neurons.
Last updated on 10/2/2004